Saturday, September 29, 2007

Initial Blog

My name is VeLisa. I am currently enrolled in an online course. I totally love online learning and am using what I've learned so far in this course to enhance my job as an English teacher.

My background has been varied. I had worked in several positions until I was laid off by one of the major communications companies. I decided to invest in ME. Once I made that decision, I returned to school. I am so proud of my achievements.

As a returning adult learner, I've received a B.A. in English and I'm gainfully employed.I also feel that some of the time I spent in the classroom, an online course would have been a better option and just as vital for me. As a mother of two small children, getting my BA took a lot of time from them. I would pick my children up from day care and continue to GSU after dropping them off at two different locations. I had traditional classes from 4:30pm to 10:20pm, Monday through Friday for almost 2 years. I also took two classes at Prairie State. I had a horrendous schedule. I know that online courses would have helped to end the struggle much sooner. Did I mention I had a full time job at the time. I left work at 3pm running to feed and love my babies for a few moments and then off to get the education that would make our lives better. In the midst of this struggle I dealt with a divorce and cancer. The good news is that I made it.

This course will give me the tools to help some struggling young person to get their diploma, to make their dreams come true,. I believe online teaching and learning is a tool of empowerment.

2 comments:

Maria said...

That struggle of today is a WONDERFUL example for your children. You are setting the minimal standard for their Achievements of tomorrow. That is powerful,leading by example.
God bless you

Vee said...

Thanks, Maria!! You're a gem!! Hope you're feeling better with your knees!!