Saturday, October 20, 2007

Self Selected Topic- Mini- Case

What shall I talk about?? Mmm-mmm-:)

I think I will address the mini-case assignment we had a few weeks ago. For that discussion we had to take a f2f class and convert it into an online course. I'm going back to that issue because I've learned so much more since that time. Here is my rationale for taking a telecourse converting it to a GREAT online experience.

I'm currently taking a telecourse. I know that this particular course could benefit from becoming an online course due to the limitations that exist. I know also that Horizon Live would be an additional asset to the class. After participating in just one session of Horizon, I'm convinced that this tool is critical to the online environment. Online teaching and Horizon together can enhance the student's learning ability in the comfort of their living room.

In the class that I'm taking which is dealing with struggles in the African American community, I feel that I'm missing something. The topics are diverse; the DVD's are great, but there's so much more that I, as a student, should be giving and getting.

For instance, if this class were online, I would have the option of bouncing my ideas, thoughts, and comments off of my fellow peers. The threaded discussion gives you the opportunity to "dig" a little deeper. Not only that, the subject area would be enhanced by the bells and whistles that you can create to share with the class.

I spoke f2f with the instructor last night and I was awed by her repertoire of knowledge on the subject. In the space of thirty minutes, she shared websites, books, grassroots individuals, and famous personalities that added substance to the class. If this class were online, she could have posted that information in web links, announcements, and such. In doing so, EVERYONE, could benefit. The class members who had left missed this vital information.

Let me go back to the initial assignment we had, that of posting a class album. What a novel idea!!! This feature alone is priceless (not to mention addresses several learning styles). We enjoyed the opportunity to "view" one another. This is the first online course that I've taken that allowed this feature. It was exciting to see everyone. It made it personal.


Last night, some students discovered that the information regarding the exam was incorrect. It hadn't been updated since last summer. Most of us hadn't ever seen the instructor; we didn't know what she looked like. The class album would have eliminated that. The "announcements" would have negated the lost time spent looking for the classroom.

Online teaching allows you, as a teacher and student, to tap into the style of learning that fits you and also causes you to stretch (if, briefly) into the challenge of other styles that you might not be comfortable with. Granted, there is a DVD in this class (for the visual learner), but it ends there. We need the "watering hole" experience. Not to mention the "cave" reflection. There is the reading for the Verbal Learner, but then what? Others are left hanging!

We've been unable to contact the professor because she's been out of the country. With the components of online teaching all of the questions could have been addressed from ANYWHERE in the world. We could have simply "reached out and touched".

I won't go on and on...-:) but I know that since online teaching is "now", there are classes "now" that could benefit from taking it deeper!!



No comments: